Monday, December 23, 2013

Come on...The Case of the Untied Shoe

I saw him hesitate.  He was almost at the front of the church.  The congregation was singing the invitation hymn, and a father and his young son stepped out of the pew, making their way down the aisle.  As they neared the end of the aisle, the boy glanced at his feet to see that his shoe was untied.  In a moment that seemed to stand still, I could see the young boy deliberating the situation.  Should he stop and tie his shoe? Or should he just keep going.  The preacher waiting at the front moved over to greet them at the exact moment the boy made his decision.  As the preacher reached out his hand to greet the boy, the boy kneeled down to tie his shoe.

He was coming forward with a purpose.  But he felt his shoe had to be tied first.  His father gave an embarrassed grin and shook the preacher's hand.  The congregation continued to sing.  Away in a manger, no crib for a bed.  I, however, ceased singing.  It was in that brief moment I received a glimpse of my own life, of my own heart.  This young man was making public the most important decision of his life, to follow Jesus Christ.  But he had to be ready.  His shoe had to be tied.  Or did it?

How many times do I stop just short of Jesus' bid for me to come to Him, to stop and fix things before I reach Him? Yes, Lord, I feel you drawing me in your presence, but before I can sit down and dive into Your Word, the house must be clean.  The dishes must be washed.  I must go to bed so I can sleep and awaken refreshed, ready for You to pour into me.  Yes, Lord, I see that person in need.  I can help meet the need.  Or I can even just be a listening ear.  But I'm so busy, God.  Maybe when life slows down a bit.  Yes, Lord, that is an amazing ministry opportunity.  But I'm not good enough.  Let me work on teaching, singing, repairing, cooking, serving...and the list of excuses goes on and on.

My Savior is gently calling to me, inviting me into His presence, into His work, but I so often stop short.  I get so close, ready to surrender, but my imperfection or the mess of my life distracts me.  Sadly, one distraction leads to another.  Many times, I miss the opportunity completely.  And what an opportunity it is.  The opportunity to be in the loving arms of my Heavenly Father.  The opportunity to be involved in His work and ministry.  The opportunity to simply bask in His glory.  The examples of God calling us to Himself in scripture are numerous.  And for almost every situation.

Coming into His presence:
Enter into His gates with singing and into His courts with praise.  Psalm 100:4

Coming with our sin:
"Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.  Isaiah 1:18

Coming with our burdens:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Matthew 11:28

Coming with our fears:
Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”  “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  Matthew 14:25-29

Coming with our future as designed by His will:
"Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people."  Mark 1:17

Coming with our complaints:
Then Moses told Aaron, “Say to the entire Israelite community, ‘Come before the Lord, for he has heard your grumbling.’” While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the Lord appearing in the cloud. The Lord said to Moses, “I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, ‘At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.’”  Exodus 16:9-12

Coming in our weakness:
Then because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.  Mark 6:31

Coming in our need:
The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life."  Revelation 22:17

As we celebrate Christmas and the season of advent, we focus on the coming of Jesus, both as a baby in a humble stall and His promise that He will one day come again.  The truth of the matter is, Jesus came to us, so that we might come to Him.  And He waits.  Patiently pleading, "come on."


No comments: