Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thankful Tuesday - My Pioneer Peers

After a two week hiatus, Thankful Tuesday has returned. For the past week I have spent most of my time with 20 of the finest college students around. These students, the 2011-2012 SMC Pioneer Peers have worked tirelessly to prepare for the beginning of the school year, to help 500 new freshmen transition into college life, and have been a source of help to me beyond what they could ever know. I decided to devote this week's Thankful Tuesday blog to them. Below you will find why I am thankful for each one of them.

Chris B. - Chris makes me laugh. He is so easy going and willing to step in and help at any time. He really cares about other students and just people in general. I'm thankful for the way he brings ease to every situation.

B.C. - She is a hard worker. I can count on B.C. to be there. She has great ideas and wants great things for her life. I am thankful I get to have a sideline seat to watch her grow and come into her own.

Ebonee - Her smile and laughter are contagious. She makes everyone feel at ease and puts us all in a good mood.

Corey - He is so conscientious and aware of everything around him. He wants to live life to the fullest and is just one of those people who gets along with pretty much everyone. I am thankful for the positive example he is to those around him.

Sarah - She is so full of life and energy. She never seems to stop. She is dedicated to her family, her friends, and likes to have fun. I am thankful that she is my Pioneer Peers for my class this semester. We will have so much fun!

Rashad - He's quiet, but when he speaks, his words are powerful. This is evidenced by his poetry. He is a very talented individual and puts that into all that he is.

Brent - He has come out of his shell so much since I first met him. Brent meets you with an honesty that is refreshing and a transparency that challenges you to be a better person.

Marcus - He challenges me to think differently, to speak differently, to act differently, to look at the world differently. All in a good way. I am thankful for someone who keeps me on my toes...and keeps me laughing.

Matt - He never gives up. He has a passion for life that is contagious! He is just simply a fun person to be around. I'm thankful I get to watch him grow and learn to use his God-givens strengths.

Isaiah - I remember the first time I met Isaiah. He exudes life and excitement. His sense of humor and people skills will lend themselves well to a political career one day. I am thankful any time I get to be around him, especially when I get to see him figure something out for the first time...it's just pure joy!

Josh - He's a quiet leader but one who is coming out of his shell more and more each day. Yesterday I got to witness first hand him learn that he made a difference in someone's life. It meant so much to him, and I'm glad I got to witness that moment of realization.

Chris P. - This kid is passionate about so many things...running, eating right, being where he's supposed robe when he's supposed to be there, etc. He's committed! He's dedicated! We could all learn from him.

KP - She's fearless. I wish I could have just an ounce of her energy and excitement. She's not easily discouraged and a great motivator.

Ciara - She's always willing to share. She's always willing to do what needs to be done. She's a great encouraged!

Dezrae - She inspires me with her positive attitude and willing spirit. She is so teachable and such a great leader. She listens well and she gives back constantly. I cannot wait to see what she accomplishes in this life!

Kayla - She has fun no matter what she is doing. She speaks her mind and is not afraid to fail, learning from every mistake. She pushes through hardship and loves to laugh and enjoy the moment.

Chad - He's one of the most helpful people I know. He always goes the extra mile. He always has a smile on his face. He knows what he wants to do with his life and consistently makes choices to help him reach his goals.

Tayla - Sweet is the first word that I think of when think of Tayla. She's always positive and always helpful. Se puts herself out there in order to accomplish great things.

Nacolle - She is a good decision maker. She knows how to weigh her options and make the best choice based on the circumstances. She consistently puts other people's needs ahead of her own. This past weekend when things were so busy and hectic, Nacolle had to deal with some pretty heavy stuff to handle. Most people never knew because she put all of that aside to be an effective leader. I am so thankful for that attitude and her willingness to be so present.

I am so privileged to work with such a great group of student leaders. I don't know what I would have done without them is week!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Reading this REALLY made me miss my old job....not the stressful number crunching one but the one where I got to work with Pioneer Peers. I am thankful I got to have that experience with you for so many years! --KNB